IdentiLynx is an Ethernet based, full-frame digital video camera that, when combined with any EtherLynx line-scan photo-finish camera, produces an integrated photo-finish solution that maximizes the functionality of each technology.
The outputs from the two types of cameras are time synchronized, so that you can move the cursor in the photo-finish window and watch the video jump to the same moment in time, helping you identify race finishers.
Some camera settings are specific to IdentiLynx cameras. Settings that do not apply are disabled.
- Setup | Contrast: Default value - 0.25; Range - 0.01 to 1.00.
- Parameters | Quality: the standard jpeg quality setting. It has a range of 8-92.
- Note: When setting the quality very high (80 or 85 plus), the frames do not compress much, and the data rate exceeds the camera's capability, causing frames to be dropped.
- Parameters | Frame Height: Select the preferred resolution.
- Parameters | Shutter speed: Select the preferred shutter speed. High shutters speeds produce crisp images of moving objects, but the time may need to be increased in low light conditions.
- Capture | Capture methods: Automatic ( IdentiLynx Motion) is available without the Automatic Capture Mode (ACM) Plug-in. When capture is active, all movement detected by the IdentiLynx camera will be captured.
In addition to the EtherLynx Image Tool Bar functions, IdentiLynx image panes offers useful controls.
Play Click to play IdentiLynx frames.
Stop Click to stop playing.
|Previous Click to go to the previous frame.|
|Next Click to go to the next frame.|
|Speed Display of the current Play speed.|
Start Frame Click to mark the first frame of a selection.
End Frame Click to mark the last frame of a selection.
Clear Frame Click to clear the frame selection.
|Slider Click and drag to view a different frame.|
IdentiLynx cameras with either a manual or motorized lens.
Manual lens These lenses require the operator to manually adjust the zoom, focus and iris of the camera by turning the rings on the lens itself. To learn more about these lens parameters, go to Optimize Lens Settings
Motorized lens These lenses, available on select camera models, allow the user to remotely control the zoom and focus from the FinishLynx software by using the buttons in the remote control panel of the Hardware Control window. They also offer full-time auto-iris control, meaning that the iris will open or close automatically based on the available light and the gain value.
- To adjust the motorized lens Simply use the buttons in the remote control panel of the Hardware Control window.
- Note: The IdentiLynx camera does not offer continuous movement when holding the remote icons.
- To use the auto-focus Hold the Ctrl + Shift keys and click the Focus Near or Focus Far buttons.
- Note: The focus icons will change during auto-focus operations - .
IdentiLynx cameras can be configured to use the same capture methods as EtherLynx cameras in addition to the Automatic ( IdentiLynx Motion) method. Capturing image is as simple as creating a new event and following the normal steps to capture image.
There are different ways to change the frame currently displayed in the IdentiLynx image page:
- To view the frame that matches the hash line position on an EtherLynx image:
- Click Image | Options...
- Click to select Time Tracking: All cameras.
- Click Ok.
- Click to place the hash line on an EtherLynx image pane.
- The IdentiLynx image pane displays the frame that matches the hash line time.
- To advance the IdentiLynx frames one at a time:
- Click to move forward by 1 frame.
- Click to move back by 1 frame.
- To view different frames using the mouse wheel:
- Hover the cursor over the IdentiLynx image pane.
- Roll the wheel forward or backward to advance or go back.
- To operate the video slider:
- Click anywhere on the slider, and the video jumps there.
- Click & Hold the mouse to move it around, the video follows the slider.
Playing the IdentiLynx video in FinishLynx is as easy as clicking the Play icon .
- Some advanced controls are available:
- Holding down the CTRL key while simultaneously clicking the Play button allows you to play just the selected portion of the video.
- Holding down the CTRL and SHIFT keys while simultaneously clicking the Play button allows you to repeatedly play the selected portion of the video.
- Holding down the SHIFT key while simultaneously clicking the Play button allows you to repeatedly play the entire video.
- Clicking the Next Frame icon during playback will double the playback speed.
- Clicking the Previous Frame icon during playback will halve the playback speed.
You can manually select frames in IdentiLynx images to either crop extra frames or export the selected frames.
- To select a range of frames on the IdentiLynx image:
- Go to the first frame to be selected.
- Click or Image | Mark start frame from the Menu Bar .
- Go to the last frame to be selected.
- Click or Image | Mark end frame from the Menu Bar .
- To clear the selection:
- click or Image | Clear frame selection from the Menu Bar .
- To crop all IdentiLynx frames outside the current selection:
- Select a range of frames, see HOW TO SELECT IDENTILYNX IMAGE FRAMES?
- Click or Image | Crop from the Menu Bar .
- To crop all IdentiLynx frames currently selected:
You can export IdentiLynx image clips, including overlays and image adjustments, to AVI files. These files can be played by Microsoft Windows Media Player or QuickTime.
- To export an IdentiLynx video in AVI file format:
- Select a range of frames, see HOW TO SELECT IDENTILYNX IMAGE FRAMES? If no selection is made, the entire sequence of frames is exported.
- Click Image | Export Video... from the Menu Bar .
- Navigate to the preferred directory.
- Edit the file name (optional).
- Click Save.
- Windows Media Player does not support AVI videos larger than 2048 pixels wide and limits this function for the IdentiLynx PRO XR.
- QuickTime plays AVI files, and can handle the largest size that the IdentiLynx PRO XR can produce.
It is possible to define the view from IdentiLynx images exported.
- To select the view:
- Right-click and drag to draw a selection box around the content to be included in the exported video.
- Follow the steps in HOW TO EXPORT IDENTILYNX VIDEO?
The playback speed of exported videos can be set in the Options dialog. The default value of 100 (%) exports the video at the same frame rate as it was recorded. Increase the value to make the video play faster, decrease it to make the video play slower or set a negative value to make the video play backwards.
- To set the video export speed:
- Click Image | Options...
- Change the value of Video Export: Speed.
Exported video files that reach 2GB, the AVI limit, are now saved and the user is shown a message describing what happened and the last included frame.
- AVI 2GB limit reached; last exported frame showing.
Yes. When you use an IdentiLynx camera without any EtherLynx cameras powered on, you can get frame times and create a manual start to see elapsed times in the image, rather than the time of day.
IdentiLynx SR/HRS cameras can be or restarted remotely from the FinishLynx software. This is convenient for far or hard to reach cameras.
- To restart a camera:
- Go to the Hardware Control window.
- Right-click the Power field for the camera to restart.
- On the pop-up box, select Power > Restart...
- Click Ok to confirm the request.